Warning: include(includes/nav_left.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/60/5356760/html/facts/streetnames.php on line 20

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'includes/nav_left.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/60/5356760/html/facts/streetnames.php on line 20


STREET NAME ORIGINS

Collett
Named for the son of developer Robert S. Munger.

Beacon
Unknown.

Dumas
Named for J.P. Dumas, first county surveyor, laid out City of Dallas for John Neely Bryan.

Fitzhugh
Named for L.H. Fitzhugh, early settler and land owner.

Gaston
Named for Capt. W.H. Gaston, pioneer banker and East Dallas developer. This was formerly known as Wallace Street.

Glendale
Unknown.

Munger
Named for developer Robert S. Munger, 1905.

Parkmont
Unknown.

Skillman
Named for Dallas banker W.F. Skillman. The street was originally named for the famous aviator, Charles Lindberg. However, in November 1941, actions taken by Col. Lindberg were deemed less than patriotic, hence a change of street names. By 1951, the namesake was reassigned to another Dallas street.

Swiss
In 1857, Henri Boll named Swiss Avenue after his native country. It was a dusty rural lane far from the city.



Warning: include(includes/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/content/60/5356760/html/facts/streetnames.php on line 144

Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'includes/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/content/60/5356760/html/facts/streetnames.php on line 144