Click to go to
Home Page


Choose options below...


THE SWISS AVENUE
WOMEN'S GUILD









HISTORIC
SWISS AVENUE









RESOURCES






   
5405   5305

YEAR BUILT: 1916
ARCHITECT/BUILDER: Hal Thompson
ORIGINAL OWNER: Frank J. Tholl
ORIGINAL
DESCRIPTION:
The stately brick residence exhibits many Georgian elements. The central pavilion is slightly projected from the body of the house and is capped by a triangular pediment in which is centered a glazed rondel. The entry doors are recessed behind a pair of attenated Doric columns flanked by matching pilasters. The front facade is accented by brick quoins on all corners, and heavy dentils support the tile hipped roof. However, the dentils are out of scale, almost suggesting brackets, and the iron balconies on the second floor are completely out of character with Georgian elements. French doors flanked by sidelights and topped by rectangular transoms open onto a terrace which runs the full length of the house and is enclosed by a cast stone balustrade. The second floor fenestration is decidely Progressive and not in keeping with the Georgian elements. The house is constructed of tna brick and not the red brick with white trim that is considered a typical feature of the Georgian Style.
OF INTEREST: This house was built for Frank Tholl, a pioneer in oil development and co-founder of Tholl Brothers Meat Market. Mr. ThollÍs daughter, Juanita Tholl Fraser, was married in the house, celebrated her 50th wedding anniversary here, and lived in the house until her death in 1993.
PHOTO GALLERY:
2003 Swiss 5323
December 2003
Holiday Decorations


Feb 14, 2004
Most snow since 1985

 

2003 Swiss 5323
December 2012 CBS News
Holiday Decorations